Sunday, November 14, 2010

Getting Started

Welcome.

This is blog that will explore some aspects of various subcultures. I would love for people to engage in the discussions or reviews posted.

And, yes, I am a black girl goth. We exist! :) I embraced being a goth at the age of 19. I am now 27. Also, I am always amused and disappointed when people assume that all goths are depressed (depression is a serious mental health condition and should not be passed off as a "phase" or "teenage symptom". Some goths are depressed people. Not all depressed people are goths.)  and teenagers (again, I'm 27 and hang out with goths that are my age or older- also, many goths hang out at clubs and most clubs require you to be at least 21 so I'm still unclear where this logic comes from). Many goths are parents and DO laugh and have jobs and have a variety of ideas about religion(s).

While I welcome Gothic Subculture 101 questions, this blog will focus on reviews and commentary and will assume the reader knows a little bit about gothic and other alternative cultures.

Every once in awhile, I may address the subculture of goth from a social justice point of view (pointing out misogynistic, racist, fatphobia, anti-lgbt issues and classism). I hope everyone, including myself, will use careful consideration when engaging in these conversations.

Again, welcome!

BGG

No comments:

Post a Comment